Second National League for Democracy (NLD) member dies in Military detention 

A national league of democracy (NLD) member, who was detained along with Aung San Suu Kyi after the military staged a coup to take over Myanmar, has died in detention. The military claimed that the results of the November elections were rigged. 

It also said new elections will be held, but it has not set a date. Since the military coup, there have been violent protests in Myanmar. Military and state officials are currently trying to disperse the protesters using live shots in some cases.

Media coverage has been blocked in Myanmar

After the coup, the military shut down all radio and news stations in Myanmar, allowing only military stations to broadcast. The Myanmar military has also locked down the stations of two news outlets and arrested more than 30 journalists. 

The death of the member who died in custody, Zaw Myat Linn, is still unknown, and it’s unsure if foul play is involved. The other member that died in custody, Khin Maung Latt, was a campaign manager for the party. 

Myanmar’s state police broke up the protests using tear gas, guns, and tear gas. At least sixty people have died during the protests and many more have been injured. 

The United States has condemned the actions of Myanmar’s Military

Via a statement released by the US state department, Biden’s administration has condemned the actions of the Military. The statement added that the US was opposed to the measures used by the military against peaceful protesters. 

According to data from the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP), more than 1800 protesters have been detained by Myanmar’s military. The police arrested up to 50 protesters in a region, but many people were able to escape detention by rallying together. 

An activist,  Shar Ya Mone, said she won’t stop protesting until the military gives up power. She added that she was helped during the violent crackdowns by strangers that offered her and her friends rides.